Santa Engracia

Set at a height of 1000 meters the village of Santa Engràcia is divided into two parts.

Casa Mauri is in the main village (on the right, hidden round behind the rock outcrop), a group of 19 houses and the village church and a moorish watchtower. The other half is known as the Raval, or suburbs, with another 9 houses.

A little village history

The original inhabitants of Santa Engràcia were subsistence farmers growing a little wheat to produce bread they also grew olives, grapes, vegetables, and harvested almonds and walnuts. They kept flocks of sheep to trade and a pig or two, hens and rabbits for their own consumption. A neighbour told me that money was needed only to buy shoes, sugar and chocolate though itinerant charcoal burners sold their product to the villagers for cooking. A local flour mill at Rivert took part of the flour in payment for their services.

Eventually this sort of life was no longer sustainable nor desirable to some of the sons and daughters and many left the village to live and work in Barcelona in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s and the village was semi-abandoned. There had been 48 families living in Santa Engràcia in the first half of the 20th century. By the late 1980’s only one family plus a shepherd remained. Though a road reached Santa Engràcia in the 60’s the village didn’t have a water supply until the late 1980’s. Before this the villagers took their mules with water carriers 2kms to a natural spring. In the 80’s inhabitants clubbed together to pay for a village water deposit plus tubing from a spring and tubing to all the houses.

At around the time the previous owners bought Casa Mauri in 1988 neighbours began to show an interest in returning to their family homes for weekends and holidays and most of the houses have now been modernised. In 2007 a village sewage system was installed by Tremp local authority and the ancient cobbled village street was replaced with concrete, relieved by a central decorative band of paving stones plus an attractive viewing point comprising a bench and two chairs beneath the shade of a small tree.

The village of Santa Engràcia is situated 10km from the main C13 road which runs through the Tremp valley. The asphalted road winds and climbs its way up from the valley to Santa Engràcia passing olive groves and vineyards. On reaching Santa Engràcia you can leave your car in the main village car park. If you text about an hour before arrival then someone can be at hand to show you to the house and help with your luggage using the quad and trailer. Access to the village houses is pedestrianised.


Het dorp Santa Engràcia ligt op een hoogte van 1000 meter en is verdeeld in twee delen.

Casa Mauri bevindt zich in het hoofddorp (rechts achter de rots), een groep van 19 huizen plus de dorpskerk en een Moorse uitkijktoren. De andere helft staat bekend als de ‘Raval’, of buitenwijk, met nog eens 9 huizen.

Een kleine dorpsgeschiedenis

De oorspronkelijke bewoners van Santa Engràcia waren zelfvoorzienende boeren die een beetje tarwe verbouwden om brood te produceren. Ze verbouwden ook olijven, druiven, groenten en oogsten amandelen en walnoten. Ze hielden schapen om te ruilen en een stuk of twee varkens, wat kippen en konijnen voor eigen consumptie. Geld was alleen nodig om schoenen, suiker en chocolade aan te schaffen, en soms om houtskool voor het koken aan te schaffen van rondreizende houtskoolbranders. Een lokale korenmolen in het nabijgelegen Rivert hield een ​​deel van het gemalen meel in als betaling voor hun diensten.

Uiteindelijk was dit soort leven niet langer houdbaar of aantrekkelijk voor sommige van de zonen en dochters van de dorpelingen en velen verlieten het dorp om te wonen en werken in Barcelona in de jaren ’50, ’60 en ’70. Het dorp bleef half verlaten achter. Er waren in de eerste helft van de 20e eeuw 48 gezinnen in Santa Engràcia. Tegen het eind van de jaren tachtig was er slechts één familie plus een herder over. Hoewel een weg naar Santa Engràcia werd aangelegd in de jaren ’60, had het dorp tot eind jaren tachtig geen watervoorziening. Voordien gingen de dorpsbewoners met hun ezels met waterdragers naar een natuurlijke bron 2 kilometer verderop. In de jaren ’80 betaalden de bewoners gezamenlijk voor een dorpswaterdepot, plus een leiding vanaf een bron en leidingen naar alle huizen.

Rond de tijd dat vorige eigenaren in 1988 Casa Mauri kochten, begonnen verschillende buren weer belangstelling te tonen voor het terugkeren naar hun familiehuis, vooral voor weekends en vakanties. De meeste huizen zijn inmiddels gemoderniseerd. In 2007 werd een gemeentelijk rioleringssysteem geïnstalleerd door de gemeente Tremp. De oude geplaveide dorpsstraat werd vervangen door beton met een decoratieve strook straatstenen. Onder de schaduw van een kleine boom kwam een aantrekkelijk uitzichtpunt met een bankje en stoelen.


Santa Engràcia ligt op 10 km van de hoofdweg C13 die door de Tremp-vallei loopt. De geasfalteerde weg slingert en klimt omhoog vanuit het dal naar Santa Engràcia langs olijfgaarden en wijngaarden. Bij het bereiken van Santa Engràcia kunt u uw auto achterlaten op de parkeerplaats van het hoofddorp. Als je een uur voor aankomst belt/appt/sms’t, kunnen wij je ophalen bij de parkeerplaats en helpen met je bagage met behulp van onze quad en het aanhangertje. De toegang tot de dorpshuizen is voetgangersgebied.